April 10, 2015
It goes without saying ABS promotes synchronization and AI, and the lifetime value it can add to the cowherd.There has never been a better time for synchronization and AI in the beef industry than today. Bull prices continue to set records and the additional value of AI bred and sired females can’t be denied.
But adoption of this technology use doesn’t come without questions and expectations from users, especially those new to or considering AI for the first time. Drovers CattleNetwork released an article online yesterday from their March issue, Dispelling the myths of artificial insemination, and one we feel is very accurate. Take a glance at it.
“AI isn’t meant to be easy and may not be meant for everyone, but it’s also not that difficult for people to establish in their operation,” Travis McCarty writes. “I believe more operations can incorporate AI into their management practices than what is currently being done in the industry.”
If you still need more information on whether AI is right for you and what other considerations are needed, check out these resources:
- Video of a large-scale AI project in South Dakota at the Fulton Ranch. With the use of a portable breeding barn and skilled crew, synchronization and AI in the pasture is low-stress and simplified
- The AI Cowculator is a smartphone app developed by the University of Florida to aid in the decision making process, helping producers incorporate their own costs and determine the value of estrous synchronization and AI compared to natural service.
- The Iowa State University Estrus Synchronization Planner is a free excel spreadsheet program download that is great for planning and deciding which estrus synchronization protocol is best for you. It also has a cost breakdown analysis to compare different protocol expenses for your operation. (Note, it will ask for your information when downloading – this is only so you can be notified when an update the planner is available for future downloads and the most up-to-date synchronization protocols approved by the Beef Reproduction Task Force)
- ABS Beef Blog Synchronization Q & A with Dr. Cliff Lamb (Three-part series). Lamb addresses common questions and scenarios on the farm when things don’t always go as planned.
- This pdf article from North Dakota State University Extension Service discussing Maximizing Pregnancy Rates When Using Artificial Insemination
If you’re still skeptical about the value of AI compared to natural service with today’s prices, check out these cost comparison charts, using this spring’s data. These charts do not account for the genetic gain of using proven genetics or additional age and weight of calves born earlier in the calving season.
If you think synchronization and AI is something you want to incorporate, talk to your local ABS Representative today. Our professional, full-service representatives are here to help you with any questions and concerns you may have.
Complete Sire Listing
Leave a Comment » | Angus, Brangus, Charolais, Club Calf, Gelbvieh, General Information, Hereford, Limousin, News From the Road, Progeny Reports, Red Angus, Simmental | Tagged: ABS, ABS Beef Bulls, ABS Beef Team, ABS bull semen, ABS Global, ABS Representative, abs sire directory, ABS sired progeny, AI Sire, AI Sires, Angus, Angus AI Sires, Animal science, Artificial Insemination, Artificial insemination cattle, Beef, Beef cattle, Beef Cattle AI, beef cattle synchronization, Beef EPDs, beef quality, Beef Reproduction Task Force | Permalink
Posted by ABS Beef
March 12, 2015
Its time again for the annual ABS Global photo contest!
Do you have an eye for cattle and pictures? ABS is searching for outstanding photos to use in promotional materials, including but not limited to the yearly calendar, posters, brochures and company website. We want to see your best cattle photos. Calving, branding, feeding, working pens, moving pastures, around the farm, and pasture shots – we like them all. So grab your camera, snap away, and send us your best.
Submission deadline is May 31, 2015
Complete rules and submission form found here.
Looking for some inspiration? Check out these favorites from previous entries.
“Working Cattle on a Beautiful Fall Day” by Becky Harrell
“Summer Roundup” by Vasco Beheregary Neto
R.A. Brown Ranch Donors on Summer Bermuda
“Cowboy Sunset” by Ricardo Arias, NM
Note: All entries must be high resolution and submitted through the online form.
Leave a Comment » | Angus, Brangus, Charolais, Club Calf, Gelbvieh, General Information, Hereford, Limousin, Progeny Reports, Red Angus, Simmental | Tagged: ABS, ABS Beef Bulls, ABS Beef Team, ABS bull semen, ABS Global, ABS photo contest, ABS Representative, ABS sired progeny, Beef, Beef cattle, Beef Cattle AI, beef cattle synchronization, beef photo contest, cattle photos, livestock photography, Photography | Permalink
Posted by ABS Beef
January 7, 2015
Happy New Year! 2015 is looking like a new era of opportunity for the beef industry.
With strong consumer demand, tight supplies and record prices, the beef industry is entering a new era of growth and unprecedented opportunity. Position your herd to make the most of these exciting times with AI and ABS genetics.
Our Spring 2015 Beef Sire Directory is at the printer, but you can get a first look online here.
Highlights of this issue:
- New spring EPDs
- Spring 2015 ABS and Circle A Sire Alliance data and progeny measurements
- Profit-driven genetics with proven, real-world results
- Spring 2015 Specials – with increased demand this spring take advantage of these industry-leading specials before supplies run out
Stop by and visit us if you will be in Denver for the NWSS. This year ABS will have our usual booth on the hill located under the arena stands, and a booth in the yards! Come by and see us at both locations for a hot cup of coffee and learn more about the 6 ways ABS and AI can help improve efficiency and profit in 2015. While you’re there take spin on the ABS prize wheel for some exciting prizes.
Complete Sire Listing
Leave a Comment » | Angus, Brangus, Charolais, Club Calf, Gelbvieh, General Information, Hereford, Limousin, New Bulls, Progeny Reports, Red Angus, Simmental, Stock Show Events | Tagged: ABS, ABS Beef Bulls, ABS Beef Team, ABS bull semen, ABS Global, ABS Representative, abs sire directory, ABS sired progeny, Angus, Angus AI Sires, Angus Sire Alliance, Artificial insemination cattle, Beef, beef carcass information, Beef cattle, Beef Cattle AI, beef cattle synchronization, Cattle AI, Charolais, Charolais cattle, Club Calf, Club Calf Sires, Hereford, Hereford AI Sires, Limousin Cattle, Polled Hereford, Red Angus, simangus, Simmental | Permalink
Posted by ABS Beef