April 10, 2015
It goes without saying ABS promotes synchronization and AI, and the lifetime value it can add to the cowherd.There has never been a better time for synchronization and AI in the beef industry than today. Bull prices continue to set records and the additional value of AI bred and sired females can’t be denied.
But adoption of this technology use doesn’t come without questions and expectations from users, especially those new to or considering AI for the first time. Drovers CattleNetwork released an article online yesterday from their March issue, Dispelling the myths of artificial insemination, and one we feel is very accurate. Take a glance at it.
“AI isn’t meant to be easy and may not be meant for everyone, but it’s also not that difficult for people to establish in their operation,” Travis McCarty writes. “I believe more operations can incorporate AI into their management practices than what is currently being done in the industry.”
If you still need more information on whether AI is right for you and what other considerations are needed, check out these resources:
- Video of a large-scale AI project in South Dakota at the Fulton Ranch. With the use of a portable breeding barn and skilled crew, synchronization and AI in the pasture is low-stress and simplified
- The AI Cowculator is a smartphone app developed by the University of Florida to aid in the decision making process, helping producers incorporate their own costs and determine the value of estrous synchronization and AI compared to natural service.
- The Iowa State University Estrus Synchronization Planner is a free excel spreadsheet program download that is great for planning and deciding which estrus synchronization protocol is best for you. It also has a cost breakdown analysis to compare different protocol expenses for your operation. (Note, it will ask for your information when downloading – this is only so you can be notified when an update the planner is available for future downloads and the most up-to-date synchronization protocols approved by the Beef Reproduction Task Force)
- ABS Beef Blog Synchronization Q & A with Dr. Cliff Lamb (Three-part series). Lamb addresses common questions and scenarios on the farm when things don’t always go as planned.
- This pdf article from North Dakota State University Extension Service discussing Maximizing Pregnancy Rates When Using Artificial Insemination
If you’re still skeptical about the value of AI compared to natural service with today’s prices, check out these cost comparison charts, using this spring’s data. These charts do not account for the genetic gain of using proven genetics or additional age and weight of calves born earlier in the calving season.
If you think synchronization and AI is something you want to incorporate, talk to your local ABS Representative today. Our professional, full-service representatives are here to help you with any questions and concerns you may have.
Complete Sire Listing
April 3, 2015
The Spring 2015 Beef Focal Point is online! Be watching your mail, hard copies should arrive soon.
Highlights in this issue:
- NEW bulls and adjusted prices added to the Proven & Promising Spring Special – ends June 29, 2015.
- ABS Customer Spotlight – Connealy Angus
- Exciting NEW sires added to the Angus, Simmental, Red Angus and Club Calf lineups
Complete Sire Listing
March 12, 2015
Its time again for the annual ABS Global photo contest!
Do you have an eye for cattle and pictures? ABS is searching for outstanding photos to use in promotional materials, including but not limited to the yearly calendar, posters, brochures and company website. We want to see your best cattle photos. Calving, branding, feeding, working pens, moving pastures, around the farm, and pasture shots – we like them all. So grab your camera, snap away, and send us your best.
Submission deadline is May 31, 2015
Complete rules and submission form found here.
Looking for some inspiration? Check out these favorites from previous entries.
“Working Cattle on a Beautiful Fall Day” by Becky Harrell
“Summer Roundup” by Vasco Beheregary Neto
R.A. Brown Ranch Donors on Summer Bermuda
“Cowboy Sunset” by Ricardo Arias, NM
Note: All entries must be high resolution and submitted through the online form.
January 7, 2015
Happy New Year! 2015 is looking like a new era of opportunity for the beef industry.
With strong consumer demand, tight supplies and record prices, the beef industry is entering a new era of growth and unprecedented opportunity. Position your herd to make the most of these exciting times with AI and ABS genetics.
Our Spring 2015 Beef Sire Directory is at the printer, but you can get a first look online here.
Highlights of this issue:
- New spring EPDs
- Spring 2015 ABS and Circle A Sire Alliance data and progeny measurements
- Profit-driven genetics with proven, real-world results
- Spring 2015 Specials – with increased demand this spring take advantage of these industry-leading specials before supplies run out
Stop by and visit us if you will be in Denver for the NWSS. This year ABS will have our usual booth on the hill located under the arena stands, and a booth in the yards! Come by and see us at both locations for a hot cup of coffee and learn more about the 6 ways ABS and AI can help improve efficiency and profit in 2015. While you’re there take spin on the ABS prize wheel for some exciting prizes.
Complete Sire Listing
December 22, 2014
Start planning for 2015 now! With only a few days left in 2014, take advantage of early spring specials while inventory is still strong on high-demand sires.
The Spring Specials feature ABS Global’s best lineup of bulls ever – both in terms of quality and quantity.
The Early Spring Angus Special includes 18 bulls, featuring a combination of proven breed leaders backed by ABS’ exclusive Sire Alliance data and some of the most exciting up-and-coming sires in the industry. The added-value Sire Alliance data brings, especially from a feed efficiency perspective, is unmatched in the industry.
- The Early Spring Simmental Special has been expanded to include 12 bulls highlighting key, proven sires as well as several elite, young bulls. This group is especially strong from a purebred standpoint led by SURE BET, YELLOWSTONE, AFTER SHOCK and ALL TIME.
- The Proven and Promising Special has also been expanded and includes proven “go to” sires like NEW DESIGN 878, BRILLIANCE and FINAL PRODUCT along with exciting first-calf-crop bulls including UP RIVER, SUBSTANTIAL and PROTOCOL.
Download a PDF copy of the Spring Special here
Remember short supply bulls can be removed from the Special at any time. Stay tuned for updates and order early.
September 26, 2014
The Fall 2014 Beef Focal Point is now online. Mailed copies should arrive soon, be checking your mail next week.
Highlights in this issue:
- NEW Fall Special – ends November 21, 2014
- NEW Proven & Promising special – ends November 21, 2014
- ABS Spotlight – The ABS Representative and commitment to Pasture to Plate Genetics and Service
- Lots of exciting new photos and support photos
- Angus data reflects the recent Angus Genomic Re-Calibration
August 1, 2014
Thank you for a record breaking spring season!
Due to your support of our products and services, ABS remains #1 and going strong.
ABS and our bull owner partners would again like to extend a Thank You Special offer to the customers who have contributed to this success. These Thank You Special prices are the most generous of the year and are effective from August 1st to September 15, 2014.
Download a copy here